Thursday, October 22, 2009

Double Deutsch

Indulging myself last night with a little Janice Long "listen again" before Tom came home, I heard a couple of little gems I hadn't heard in ages.

First up was "Atmospherics: Listen to the Radio" by Tom Robinson from the Hope and Glory album. Takes me back to 1984, back when the walkman and the cassette ruled, Tom Robinson was still gay and I commuted to work at Heathrow with all the weirdos on the night bus. This is my favourite track from the album and is always a treat to hear on the radio as my cassette tape got mangled up many moons ago and this is one of those songs that still isn't on itunes, well not in the USA at any rate. So thanks Janice for playing it.





My second treat was "Drowning in Berlin" by The Mobiles. Can't remember the last time I heard that. Video from Top of the Pops is quite amusing. Vocal style pinched from Toyah, expresssive hands from Kate Bush and clothes from Moss Bros. Loved the hat and gloves so very of their time and I still have mine! Enjoy!




The "Double Deutsch" connection? Pretty tenuous I know, but both are British artists singing songs which mention german cities.

1 comment:

  1. Got both Atmospherics and Drowning in Berlin in various guieses. Excellent tracks both.

    Today I heard I'm Not The Man I Used To Be by Fine Young Cannibals on the Co-op Radio. I think I'd completely forgotten about it.

    ReplyDelete