Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Great oldies on Steve Wright on R2 today

I wouldn't say that these are real synhotr's, but whoever picked the tracks today was truly inspired.

Started off with Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar". Classic song. Dunno how long Phil Lynott has been dead, but for some reason his death and a shuttle disaster are filed away together in my brain!!

Then it was "November Rain", or at least bits of it. OK I wasn't expecting them to play all 10 minutes or so, but someone did an appalling hatchet and splice job on it during the instrumental bits. You could really hear the joins. The video is a must. Very OTT, ridiculous wedding dress, grotesque pinkie ring, Slash posturing outside the tardisesque church with his guitar, the hideous bowtie at the funeral and eventually the rain in the graveyard. Almost bad enough to be good.






"Hounds of Love", "Spirit of Radio", "Love Will Tear Us Apart" after and then the classic Smiths track "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". The line "Why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye" is just spot on and pure Morrissey.






No comments:

Post a Comment