Thursday, October 22, 2009

Louie Louie - Julie London

I've always thought that Janice Long is a gem hidden away in the schedules. Alex Lester and Desmond Carrington too for that matter. If there is anywhere you are going to hear a synhotr, it's on their shows. As she's on so late I don't often get the chance to listen. Last night I managed to hear a section of the show and I wasn't disappointed when a Julie London track came on air. I have to admit that apart from "Cry Me A River" my only other knowledge of her is that it amused me that my paternal Grandmother had a record by Julie London on London records in her collection. Professionally speaking I don't usually recommend Wikipedia , but sometimes you just have to. So, without further a-do, enjoy this track, a one-time subject of an FBI investigation (but by the Kingsmen on that occasion):



So, next time I'm at a Record Fair, I'll be looking for the album it's from, where I'll also get a copy of this interesting cover Yummy, Yummy, Yummy . I can just picture Ms London in her '60s negligee waggling her alluring "come to bed" index finger.

Then to top that, a tune I most certainly have not heard since the 80's. The Blue Nile - Tinseltown in the Rain. It never charted in the UK as far as I know, but for me it evokes standing under an umbrella in the darkened but spangly wintery, rainy streets of London's West End on a Monday night, waiting for the rest of the "Cleveland Square Cinema Club" to turn up for the weekly cheap night out trip to the Pictures. We were all working in various Government Departments nearby but someone was always late or worse still was late, had no money and was subbed by the rest of us for the remainder of the week. Til pay day on Thursday at least. So, for all of you, wherever you are here it is. Enjoy. It will be a while before it comes around on the airwaves again:





There was a downside to all this. I only managed to last for three more tracks before giving in to sleep after The Stranglers - 96 Tears . So, I decided to look at the tracklisting during my lunch break today. I should have hung on for one more track - and anyone who knows me will know the pain I felt when I read the next track. Orange Juice - Rip It Up. Bum!!! Next time though.....

No comments:

Post a Comment