Friday, December 11, 2009

Art for Art's Sake - 10cc

Everyone has an extreme guilty pleasure or a not-so-hidden obsession. Something herein is related to that (but I'll be leaving that particular tale or three until the right song comes up). The song for this entry reminds me of those Top of the Pops albums from Pickwick's that your Mum always tried to persuade you were by the Original Artists. I bought my first one when I was about 9 from Asda in West Bridgford and it cost 99p. It still has the price sticker on it. Laughable as they seemed at least they put the hits in your pocket-money sized budget and for the infant school childrent there was the 'Top of the Tots' companion series.

They were good alternatives for parties too as my late paternal Grandmother's collection reveals. Her Beatles collection is riddled with sticky alcohol stains and various other 45s show signs of having been left on radiators or drilled with cigarette butts. Not so the ToTP records. The only muck there is on the sleeves.

The other thing about these albums was that very often you could use them to work out the lyrics to a song much better than the original. As I drove home last night I was quite surprised to hear this tune on The Chain section of the Radcliffe and Maconie show:

Art for Art's Sake - 10cc

one of the first tracks I deciphered the lyrics for from the cheap-rate vinyl version.

No comments:

Post a Comment