Monday, December 7, 2009

Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea*

(*Saturday 21st November)

I like Christmas. I always have. I don't mind the tunes either. However, I do like to hear them much closer to the Big Day than this.

We're sitting in Burger King at the London Gateway. Stopping off for some quick sustenance on the journey north from The Smoke. Christmas is four weeks away at least. It's not even Advent yet, let alone December. Then it happens. This comes soothingly, yet puzzlingly, over the airwaves



What on earth?

OK, so we are on our way home, but the best time to hear this fantastic tune is Christmas Eve on the car radio when I'm dodging the jam on the A42(M) by taking a diversion through Ashby-de-la-Zouch and then driving over Swarkestone Causeway against the on-coming maniacs. Think of this in the pitch dark (watch for the Bus at 2.03 in and multiply that ten-fold). 40mph? I doubt it.

2 comments:

  1. I was in London too that day.... eating chinese with my parents and E, Em and their kids... That could be a whole new blog pwnedt (People Who Never Eat Dinner Together".

    It was pelting down with rain that night and a car soaked me with a puddle. Haven't been drenched by a puddle in 20 years!! I was in my cool suede boots and skinny jeans and my feet were killing me. Then I tried to put the umbrella down that I'd borrowed from my parents and it shredded my fingers and Nicks. There was blood everywhere and the only plaster I could find was a cartoon one of Kate's

    ReplyDelete
  2. We walked back after the match, through Kensington and Knightsbridge to Hyde Park. Got some candy-floss from the Winter Wonderland thingy down by No.1 London. It did actually start to feel a bit Christmassy and the rain had stopped by then too, which was nice.

    ReplyDelete