Monday, December 7, 2009

Whole Of The Moon - The Waterboys*

(*Sunday 1st November - I think)

Blustery, wet autumn evenings when it's warm inside always remind me of far off safe and homely days. Today has been no different. Dark and dreich outside, but cosy, warm and mellow inside. It's also the time of year to bring out and dust down something that for me was an essential part of my Student possessions - a casserole dish. Any Student of the '80s who says they existed solely on beans on toast either had no fiscal nouse, no imaginative culinary disposition or didn't invest £1.95 in a copy of the much derided but still excellent 'Cooking in a Bedsitter' by Katherine Whitehorn.

Earlier in the day as I put the Washer on 'Jet' by Wings came into my head for no apparent reason. Johnnie Walker obliged me by playing it later in the day on Radio 2's Sounds of the Seventies. However, that's not my synhotr.

As I chop, fry and prepare for my casserole, I still have the radio on. Well, not technically. In reality it's radio via the TV as my DAB in the Kitchen doesn't run to QMusic. The Whole of the Moon comes on



I listen and it reminds me of things like the Christmas event referred to here. We surely missed a business opportunity there.

It reminds me of listening to it for the first time on the record player in my brothers bedroom but mostly, these days it reminds me of someone who used to work with and for me. I got to thinking about Jules, wondering what he's doing now and about the time he and his Partner decided to spend Hogmanay in (or around) Aberdeen at a Waterboys-related gig. Unfortunately, on that occasion the weather decided to cancel Auld Years Night on the East coast ....

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I don't think this qualifies as a SYNHOTR. I hear it regularly !

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'll be your own personal radio then????

    ReplyDelete